9 Days / From $3,995 / Call: 1-888-565-7158
Group size: 8 maximum. Single travelers welcome!
January 27-February 3
Reserve This Trip
Our most popular fully hosted adventure chasing the best snow in central Hokkaido with the perfect mix of lift accessed powder and backcountry ski touring lead by our team of certified ACMG and AAGM ski guides. With a season average of 30 feet of snow, there are plenty of options to get us to the famous deep and dry powder of the Hokkaido interior on this fully flexible powder chasing itinerary.
We are not locked into a daily schedule like many guided trips and we focus on getting to the best conditions and explore several top Japanese ski areas, in and out of bounds. Your two PowderQuest guides review the weather patterns and snow conditions to select our best daily destination.
Some amazing snow and tree skiing is often just a few minutes from our cozy 4 star hotel in Furano, however we will mix it up and explore other uncrowded zones within a 45-80 minute drive such as Tomamu, Kamui, Sahoro, and the highest mountain in Hokkaido; Asahidake.
We top it all off with Japanese culture, outstanding dinners, accompanied with local beer, sake and red wine and optional visits to muscle soothing volcanic hot springs.
Day 1: Arrive to Furano in the afternoon via shuttle from Sapporo Chitose airport (airport code CTS), hotel check-in, welcome/trip intro, dinner on the town with your guides. We will be based in Furano for the next 8 nights.
Day 2-8: 7 days if lift assisted powder laps and ski touring chasing the best snow in Central Hokkaido. Hosted dinners each evening with your guides.
Day 9: Departure day to Chitose airport in Sapporo.
- 8 guests maximum per trip.
- 2 certified guides on every trip. Lead ski guides are certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG), or the Argentine Mountain Guide Association (AAGM).
- All trip logistics are handled once you arrive to Hokkaido.
- Mystical Japanese culture and landscapes.
- Ski and snowboard the best Hokkaido ski resorts, off-piste, and backcountry touring terrain with professional guides that know where to go.
- Soak in soothing onsens, an important part of the Japanese culture.
- Fantastic dinners and local beer, sake, or red wine in our favorite local restaurants.
Enjoy your vacation with a buffet of all you eat powder, adventure and brilliant culture. We take care of the rest!
- Certified ski guides with full time hosting
- Avalanche safety introduction/refresher
- Off piste and Backcountry guiding
- Lift tickets
- Comfortable 4 star lodging, private bath
- Delicious breakfasts and dinners
- Choice of beer, sake or Hokkaido wine at dinner
- Private transportation in our 4×4 van
You are responsible for your inbound and outbound flights (our agents can assist you), required travel insurance and lunches.
We have rental equipment available for anything you need below. Please let us know well in advance.
- Backcountry touring skis or splitboard.
- Touring skins
- Backpack (28-35 liter) with external harness straps for carrying skis or board
- Digital avalanche transceiver
- Avalanche snow shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Collapsible trekking poles for splitboarders
Booking This Trip
Call 1-888-565-7158 or contact us via email to book with our office staff.
Starting at $3,995 per person, based on twin share occupancy. Single travelers will be placed with a roommate or you may request a single room upgrade.
Payment: A 30% deposit is required at time of reservation. Final payments are due by November 15th. We accept most major credit cards, PayPal, E-Checks (ACH), and bank wires.
- Single travelers as well as small groups of 2 or more guests are welcome!
- If we have less than 5 guests sign up, the trip will have one guide. We require a minimum of 4 total guest to operate the trip.
- When booking your trip you need to agree to our Terms and Conditions and Trip Release Waiver. You will need to sign the Release Waiver at the start of the trip with your guides.
Arriving and Departing- Airport Details
Please book your flights in and out of the Chitose Airport (code CTS) in Sapporo. Most flights to CTS connect via Tokyo’s 2 main airports; Haneda and Narita. If you plan on arriving on Day 1 of the tour, please arrive to CTS no later than 12:30 PM so you can board our 2:00 PM shuttle to Furano where you will meet the guides.
If you cannot arrive by 12:30 PM, we suggest arriving the day before and staying at a hotel in Chitose. This helps you break up the trip, get some extra rest and the next day you will meet your reserved shuttle from CTS to Furano. Booking.com is the easiest way to book a room for the night.
Meeting the guides and group on Day 1
The tour begins meeting the guides the evening of Day 1 at our hotel in the town of Furano, where we will have our welcome chat and dinner. Details on meeting place and time will be sent to you before the tour.
Travel Visas and Passports
Visas are not required for USA, Canada, UK, EU, NZ, or Australian passport holders entering Japan for less than 90 days for tourism. If you are not on a passport from one of these countries please be sure to check if a visa is required.
Required Travel Insurance
Personal travel insurance that includes emergency evacuation coverage for off-piste and backcountry skiing and snowboarding is mandatory to travel with PowderQuest. Click for details
- Alpine Touring ski set up (We suggest a waist width between 110-120mm)
- Alpine touring bindings
- Climbing skins (Adhesive glue type)
- Ski poles
- Splitboard with climbing skins
- Extra binding screws and straps are a good idea
- Collapsible trekking poles. Black Diamond poles are highly suggested.
- Digital avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe (Rentals available)
- Boots (good idea to carry on plane if you can)
- 28-35 liter backpack with suitable external harness straps for carrying your skis or snowboard. Please test before the trip as this is essential!
- Water bottle to fit in your backpack (we prefer BPA Free aluminum or stainless steel water bottles as hydration bladder style systems tend to freeze)
- Portable tool kit for loose binding parts
- Padded ski or board bag. (Da Kine makes good ones that leave enough room for the rest of your gear)
- Polypropylene or Merino wool long underwear and wool blend socks
- Smartwool, prima-loft jacket or vest
- Down or synthetic puffy jacket
- Warm stocking hat (Beanie or Toque)
- Neck gaiter and face mask
- Wind/waterproof shell with hood (Goretex is recommended)
- Pants or bibs (Goretex is recommended)
- Cold weather gloves or mitts (Da Kine)
- Thin windblocker type glove for hiking and touring
- Sunglasses and ski goggles including a low light lens (Smith is our favorite). Do yourself a favor and upgrade your goggles NOW if they are highly scratched or are a lower quality goggle.
- Sun block (35 SPF or higher) and lip balm
Personal first aid kit to include at least the following:
- ibuprofin or similar for headaches, aches, etc
- Moleskin and band-aids
- Light weight toilet articles
- Prescription medicine
- Personal items for women
- Large plastic garbage bag for wet clothes
- Ear plugs for light sleepers
AND OF COURSE…
- Airline tickets
- Credit card, ATM card, and credit card cancellation phone number
- Starting cash in YEN
- Small travel clock alarm for those early powder days!
- Portable music and headphones
- Converter and plug adapters
- Energy bars
- Simple house slippers for the hotel
We have upgraded our hotels for 2018. PowderQuest has hand selected a mix of comfortable, 4 star hotels in Furano. Each room has cozy bedding with private bathrooms. Rooms are twin shared, but we do have a few options for larger double beds for couples or those requesting a single room upgrade. The hotels have a spa, Japanese style bath or onsen, bar, free WIFI internet and relaxing social areas where you can get to know the group and enjoy a drink before heading off to dinner at one of our favorite nearby local restaurants.